Get Adobe Flash player

Zoning Process FAQs

The following addresses the most frequently asked questions regarding the zoning process.

How do I check the zoning of my property?

The Planning and Development Department will be your central point of contact for information regarding the zoning process. You can address your questions to planning staff.

What if the zoning district does not allow my proposed use?

You may investigate the possibility of requesting a zoning change of the property to a district appropriate for your proposed use, or find property that already has the appropriate zoning.

How do I initiate the process?

Obtain an application from Planning and Development. Complete the application and return it to Planning and Development with supplemental information as needed. 

*Note: It is always advisable to first discuss your request with Planning Services staff.

How long will the rezoning process take; what is the cost?

A minimum of one and a half months from the due date is needed to complete all the different public hearings required. A list of meeting dates and deadlines is available in the Planning and Development office and this website. $200.00 nonrefundable fee must be paid when submitting the application.

How do the Planning and Zoning Commission and City Council obtain public input?

The Planning and Development Department will mail notices of your request to all property owners within 400 feet of the subject property at least 11 days prior to the first public hearing. Notices are also placed in the Legal Notices section of the local newspaper, and agendas posted publicly on the front of the Municipal Building. Planning and Development highly recommends that you contact adjacent property owners prior to this notification. Those persons wishing to comment will have an opportunity to do so at the public hearings, or they can mail their comments.

What does the public hearing process entail?

The public hearing process involves appearing before the City's Planning & Zoning Commission and then the City Council. Each will hear your request, staff’s report, any presentation you have prepared as well as public input before reaching a decision on the matter. The Planning & Zoning Commission will make a recommendation to the City Council regarding approval or denial of your request. The City Council then holds a public hearing and makes a decision on the request.

How should I prepare for the public hearing?

First of all, presentations should be brief and concise and are usually helpful but are not required. You should describe any impacts on existing uses (both negative and positive) that would be created by the requested zoning and proposed use. If you decide to use a power point presentation, notify Planning and Development early in the process prior to the meeting so arrangements can be made. Finally, you should describe any efforts (and results of previous meetings, if any) that have been made to discuss the request with nearby property owners.