Get Adobe Flash player

Public Infrastructure FAQs

Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the public infrastructure process.

What is public infrastructure?

Essentially, public infrastructure includes any facility or services such as water, sewer lines, streets, or other utilities that are owned and maintained by the City of Harker Heights. Other infrastructure such as electrical, gas, cable and telephone are handled by outside utility companies.

How do I know when public infrastructure is required?

Public infrastructure needs are usually identified during pre-development meetings through the aid of utility maps and site inspections. More specific requirements are identified during the Site Development Review process.


Who can prepare construction plans for my project?

You will need to enlist the services of a professional engineer licensed in the State of Texas to design and prepare the construction plans associated with new infrastructure. You can locate a professional engineer by contacting the Texas Society of Professional Engineers or in the Yellow Pages of your local phone directory.

How far do I need to extend public utilities to serve my development?

Public Water and Sewer mains need to be extended "to and through" your development so that adjacent property owners can tie on and do the same.

When do I have to construct a detention pond?

Stormwater detention may be required within the city depending on the type of development and its location and impact on the drainage system.


When does the City accept the public infrastructure that I build?

Official acceptance of developer constructed public infrastructure occurs after the City is satisfied that the infrastructure is built to City Standards. A 1 year warranty is required for water and sewer, and a 2-year warranty is required for others.The developer is responsible for any problems with the infrastructure during this time.